Saturday, January 25, 2014

Brassy

On a bitter, cold winter's night, there's nothing so enjoyable to me as to read a good book.  Lately, I've been reading The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree by Susan Wittig Albert.  On page 30, the author referred to the "brassy heat of summer" and I had to laugh.  With the wind howling around our home and the wind chills dipping way below my comfort level, I could only imagine what the brassy heat of summer felt like.  I have had numerous conversations lately with people lucky enough to be vacationing or, better yet, snow-birding to the sunny south for a while and I must admit I'm a tad envious.  Pictures on Facebook of friends in short sleeves and shorts wandering the beach make me realize that January is dragging on just a bit too long for my taste. I could use a bit of brassy heat just about now.  Then again, after bravely enduring the winter this year, that brassy heat of next July will feel all the more delicious.  For now, I guess I'll simply read about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.