Saturday, August 11, 2012

Crash Resistant

Recently, I received word about another nasty computer virus going around that could destroy your hard drive with a single keystroke.  It made me think longingly back to the days of typewriters.  We had an old manual typewriter at home when I was growing up.  You had to press really hard on the round keys.  Doing so made you slow your thoughts in order to keep pace with your typing.  Some years later, we moved to a new manual typewriter that had a lid with a handle for easy transport.  I took that typewriter to college and typed all of my term papers on it.  It was such a faithful instrument and it didn't need upgrading every time you turned around.  When I advanced to an electric typewriter at work, I thought I had reached the height of technology!  Mine even had interchangeable daisy wheels for when I wanted to change the font.  Those typewriters sound like the Stone Age compared to today's technology, but at least they never had to be charged and they never crashed and if they got a virus, you simply wiped them off and they were clean again!  I try not to say it out loud too often, for people will surely think I'm crazy, but I miss those simpler typewriter days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.