Thursday, August 23, 2012

Simplicity, Complexity

A friend via Twitter asked me to consider the following for a blog essay:  "Simplicity of a complex wor(l)d, complexity of a simple wor(l)d." While giving his suggestion much thought for a few weeks, I ran across this quote attributed to Charles Mingus:  "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity."  Whether it's in how we think, what we say, how we dress or what we do, I think it's a human tendency to take the straightforward nature, the elegance of the simple and to make it complex, almost as if our intellects dictate it. For instance, there have been a couple of issues that have been resting heavily on my mind lately and I realize how very complex I have made those issues in my mind until the simple, direct answer came to me.  Perhaps Confucius summed it up best:  "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."  I thank my Twitter friend for giving me something so thought-provoking to contemplate, for in doing so, he has helped me to struggle with my own complexities and seek the simple answer from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.