Monday, September 17, 2012

Shoe Judgment

I've always been taught not to judge a book by its cover.  Instead, my parents instilled in me that I should look for the beauty within.  Therefore, I was quite disturbed when a friend told me about how her five-year-old daughter was being judged harshly by her little friends because she wasn't wearing the "right" brand of shoes.  Such peer pressure used to be reserved for girls in their teens, but it appears to sadly affect even little girls these days.  What has happened in our ultra-consumerism society that even children have to be aware of which brands of shoes are "in" and which ones are not?  Why is it OK to be judged by the clothes you wear, rather than by the content of your character, the kindness you show others, the competency of your skills?  I must admit that I have a very simple style of dress and I do not fall prey to fads.  If someone judges me by my appearance, may it be that I'm clean, neat and tidy.  How do we instill a level of confidence and joy in our children today so that they do not feel the need to be at the height of fashion in order to be accepted?  I feel it is up to every adult to teach the children with whom they interact that their actions hold much more meaning than their brand of shoes and that they are special and valuable just for the precious people they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.