Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Nothing Really Ends

Lately, parents of several of my friends and peers have been experiencing health changes or have passed away.  When you arrive in your 50s, such changes seem to represent a rite of passage for which most of us are ill-prepared.  In such difficult or perplexing times since my beloved mom passed away last year, I've found that I increasingly turn to the words of her favorite author, Gladys Taber, to find answers and solace.  So I did upon learning that my very good friend's father had passed away recently.  In Stillmeadow Calendar, I found these words to hopefully console her:  "I reflect that nothing really ends, but grows into something new."  I believe this is true in life and in our love for others, including perhaps especially those we have loved so much who have passed away.  If nothing really ends, but grows into something new, then my love and gratitude for my parents never ends, nor the memories I had with them or the realization that I am who I am because of them.  If I re-direct my thoughts and perspectives, the sorrow stings less and almost takes on a sweetness.  Nothing really great, really beautiful, really special ever ends.  We carry it always in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.