Saturday, May 25, 2013

Taste for Spring

At this time of year, I have a taste for spring.  All I want to eat is asparagus and rhubarb and more asparagus and rhubarb, until I've had my spring fill.  While at dinner with friends recently, I learned that they have a huge asparagus patch at their new home.  The patch yields so much that they are making arrangements to sell some of their bounty locally.  I will be first in line to buy the beautiful green stems.  Larry and I will eat asparagus until it is out of season.  My taste buds also go to rhubarb at this time of year.  At the same recent dinner with friends, we talked about the various ways to prepare rhubarb, listing everything from rhubarb crisp and pie to sauce and bread.  Throughout the entire conversation, my mouth watered.  At a recent function, Larry and I had the opportunity to purchase slices of pie.  While there were many delicious choices to be had, we both found ourselves eying the rhubarb custard pie.  We slowly savored every morsel, interjecting a long "mmmmmm" in between every bite.  Spring is in its full glory right now.  What a wonderful season to appeal to all of our senses!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.