Thursday, June 6, 2013

Basil Nut

I absolutely love basil.  If I had my choice, I'd add it to every dinner dish that I prepare.  I love the taste and texture of it, but even more, I love the smell.  Just rubbing my fingers on a basil leaf gives me great pleasure.  This year, I decided to buy a couple of basil plants and put them in pots near the door so I can simply snip a leaf here and there and add it to whatever I'm cooking.  In previous years, beetles had a way of dining on the leaves before I could get to them.  But, being optimistic, I decided to give it a try again this year.  So far, we've had quite a yield and I'm loving every basil leaf I pluck.  My two little basil plants help me to better understand the great joys and challenges that farmers and gardeners face as they plant food that will be threatened by weather and bugs.  There is such satisfaction in knowing that you're eating something that you planted and tended.  And it's even nicer for me that it gets to be my beloved basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.