Monday, June 24, 2013

Big Moon Rising

Last night, we experienced a large, full moon, what is being called a "super-moon."  A local meteorologist described it as the largest and brightest full moon we will see this year, not to be repeated until over a year from now when the moon reaches the closest point to the Earth once again.   My husband Larry and I were at a function last evening, but managed to leave just in time to enjoy that amazing, large full moon.  Amid the crickets chirping, we watched the moon high in the sky.  All was tranquil on that summer night.  Even as I tried to go to sleep, I could see the moon out of our bedroom window and I couldn't help but keep one eye on it, studying the nuances of it so very far away.  My parents always enjoyed watching the night sky.  We lived in the country where the sky's expanse wasn't interrupted by street lights or tall buildings.  Mom and Dad would sit outside on summer nights in their lawn chairs, staring up at the sky, pondering its greatness and our small part in that greatness.  As I get older, the night sky captivates me, as well, including last night's large, large full moon.

1 comment:

  1. Keri,
    It was a gorgeous! Also on Sat nite. Really a supermoon. Luckily I woke up in the middle of the night which always happens during a big moon ... curtains drawn but still shined in.

    Enjoyed reading your post!
    Sarah @WordHits

    ReplyDelete

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.