Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Oh, Deer

I'm one of those people who catch the little details.  It's sometimes irritating how I see all of those little bits and at other times, they're vitally important.  One recent evening, as I stepped out our front door for my evening walk, I noticed something small and dark behind an evergreen shrub.  My first thought was that it might have been a "deposit" from a skunk or raccoon and I didn't want to get too close to find out if the depositor was still around.  After my walk, I bravely approached the spot and saw that no depositor had returned, so I hosed down the spot.  I was still mystified as to what had left its mark until the next morning when our neighbor called and said that she had seen a fawn curled up by her front door in the night.  It was so tiny and on such spindly little legs that she wondered if it might have been a newborn.  The fawn was strong and sturdy, however, and ran swiftly away to the woods when approached.  When it left, she said that it also left its "calling card," similar to what I had seen behind our evergreen.  The tiny little creature was evidently finding comfort and security nestled in spots around our front doors.  I don't mind if it returns, but perhaps it can visit without leaving its calling card next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.