Thursday, September 19, 2013

Barking Up That Tree

Larry and I spent a recent Sunday afternoon hiking at Steinke Basin, one of our favorite places.  The temperature was cool and the sky overcast.  Fall was in the air, at least for that one day.  For some reason, my eye was drawn to the trunks of the trees surrounding us.  As if I was seeing it for the first time, I began to notice the difference in the bark of the various trees.  Some of the trees featured bark that was ragged, while others were smooth.  Some had deep striations, others narrow.  Some were "decorated" with climbing vines, while others were covered in lichens or moss.  I usually occupy my view and thoughts with the tree canopy -- the leaves, the blossoms.  But that particular day, my concentration was on the bark itself and how very beautiful it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.