Saturday, September 14, 2013

Summer Sounds

I really don't like turning on the air conditioning.  I take any opportunity to open the windows and welcome in the fresh breezes and summer sounds.  After a short stretch of running the air conditioning, I was grateful for the weather to shift, allowing me to open the windows once again.  Just having them closed for a few days was a few days too many for me.  I have a friend who lives in the south who said that she goes from one air-conditioned environment into another, for the summer is too hot there to open windows for any reason.  I couldn't live there.  I crave the sounds of summer -- the cicadas, the birdsong, the crickets.  Lately, the night sounds have been particularly enjoyable.  It gets dark earlier these days, so I find myself sitting on our sun porch at around 8:30 p.m., rocking in the chair, listening to the evening chatter.  Summer may be winding down as we move closer to the autumnal equinox, but the sounds of summer are still speaking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.