Monday, September 9, 2013

Finding Grandma and Grandpa

Although yesterday was National Grandparents Day, I've been thinking about my grandparents a lot lately.  When my maternal Aunt Ellie asked me what I'd like to do while visiting her and my Uncle Bob in Manitowoc, Wisconsin last week, I had only two wishes, one of which was to find the graves of my paternal grandparents, Frank and Josephine Naidl.  Our journey took us to the nearby community of Two Rivers to Holy Cross Cemetery, a huge, verdant and serene place with towering trees. It seemed at first as if we would be searching for hours, yet we found their shared headstone within a few minutes near a large white cross.   I'm not sure why I was so driven to find the graves of my paternal grandparents, but it meant so much to know and to see where they had been laid to rest.  And with National Grandparents Day right around the corner, the timing couldn't have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.