Monday, September 2, 2013

Rest from Labors

On this Labor Day, I reflect on work and, specifically, the work I have done this summer. Last Friday, I completed a 12-week, limited term position with Sauk County government.  I was sorry to see it end, for the experience was challenging and educational and the people kind and caring.  It was as if my summer was a time of discovery and exploration, learning new things and being with new people in a new setting.  For the past four months, I have been recuperating from many years of constant work that were dotted with personal trials of illness and loss.  While a difficult choice to make, last spring I chose to leave a rewarding position that I had held for 12 1/2 years.  By doing so, I gave myself the almost unheard-of gift of time to refresh and start along a new career path.  We rarely have the luxury of making time to examine ourselves, learn what is really in our hearts and minds, and then embark on a new direction to suit the people we realize we have become.  That has been my summer -- learning and growing while freelance writing, volunteering for our Baraboo Big Top Parade and working at Sauk County.  I thank the good people of Sauk County government for helping me with my exploration and giving me invaluable insights as I chart new waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.