Sunday, September 29, 2013

Low Tones

There was a time when I could sing a high G with no effort whatsoever.  In fact, I can recall singing a solo when I was in high school where the very first note was a high G.  Time has gone by and with the years, my voice has lowered.  Today, while I can make myself sing either soprano or alto, I'm happiest in the middle-to-lower range.  The low notes, those low tones have surprising appeal to me.  When I sing them, I sound as if I'm enjoying myself, as opposed to the first soprano notes when I sound as if I'm reacting to something really, really scary.  I've joined our church choir once again and I'm happily sitting in the alto section part of the time, soprano the other part of the time.  Today, we sang during the worship service for the first time this fall.  I came prepared to sing alto, but ended up singing soprano instead.  Learning two musical parts keeps my brain cells on high alert and my voice in greater range, which are good things.  Depending on the piece of music and where my voice is needed on a particular Sunday, like the limbo song, I'll have to see "just how low can I go."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.