Friday, November 8, 2013

A World of Abundance

I get tired of flipping through the TV channels and seeing yet more shows about hoarding, pawning and accumulating things. In a culture of consumerism and a tendency toward excess, how does one define abundance, genuine abundance?  Such was the topic of last Sunday's church sermon. The message struck a chord with me.  Do I "hoard" out of fear of the future, rather than trusting that my needs will be met?  Do I embrace the abundance of hope, generosity and love in my life?  If I were to lose my possessions, but still have my loved ones and my health, would I feel that my life was abundant?  I dare say that I would.  As I get older, I find that I want to buy, own and be responsible for fewer and fewer things.  There is little that is abundant about life, in my opinion, when one feels possessed by one's possessions. At this time of harvesting and nesting, I am focusing this fall on opening my heart and mind and finding new ways to share the blessings in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.