Sunday, November 10, 2013

Divinity

While at a Halloween party a couple of weekends ago, I noticed some cleverly decorated confections, including some that looked ghosts made of meringue.  As I tasted the mouth-watering sweetness, I thought of the first time I had recognized meringue for all of its goodness.  In my elementary school, which was a very old building, our cafeteria was in the basement.  Periodically, the school would hold a bake sale, featuring cookies, candies and other confections lovingly made by the children's moms.  One such mom made divinity candy, those sweet, delicate white mounds of meringue that melted in your mouth.  That's also where I became familiar with peanut blossom cookies, peanut butter cookies with a chocolate kiss candy smack-dab in the middle of them.  My late mom would verify with a roll of her eyes that I was a picky eater at best when I was young, but anything that came from the bake sales, especially the divinity candy, was enough to satisfy even this very discriminating palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.