Monday, September 30, 2013

Ah! Silence

If Larry's home, there's always some sound around him.  He's either listening to music in his office or he has the television on, even if he's not watching it.  If he's in the car, the radio or a CD is playing, often at a high volume.  He loves music and sound and I believe they fill his creative well. I, on the other hand, crave silence.  When I'm home, I prefer to have it quiet.  I rarely turn on the television anymore.  I often drive in the car without the radio on.  Silence has become my companion and I really enjoy it.  I heard recently that silence is the "cornerstone of character," the ultimate environment for achieving a balance of mind, body and spirit.  Being silent doesn't necessarily mean that my head is full of its own chatter.  Instead, being silent leaves me open to hearing messages that have been trying to get through the din of chatter and distraction.  I don't need full silence all of the time, but when I give myself time with it, silence truly tells me more than I could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.