Thursday, September 5, 2013

Fleeting Thoughts

My friend Kitty is wise and eloquent.  In a recent email, she shared her insights about the temporary nature of life.  Truly, most things are temporary, possibly nearly everything but love.  I got to thinking about how the days can seem long, the day-to-day changes small.  Yet, when looking back, one can see with new eyes the rapid passage of time and the changes that happened perhaps without our even noticing them.  Such thoughts of the fleeting, temporary nature of life make me redouble my efforts to appreciate each moment, live in the present, give of myself with generosity, and let go of the perplexities, worries and fears that can mar my day (or at least my thinking part of the time).  Instead, I will fill those fleeting moments with joy, gusto and appreciation.  At some point, we may have the opportunity to look back on the entirety of our lives.  If and when I have the opportunity to do so, I want it to be a review of all that was good and giving, fully aware that each fleeting moment, each fleeting thought was a gift of immeasurable value.  I am reminded once again of my late mom's favorite Bible passage:  "This is the day that the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it."  So be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.