Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Out on a Limb

A few Sundays ago, my husband Larry and I had the fun of traveling to the eastern side of the state to attend the 80th birthday party of my aunt.  I hadn't been with my family since my mom passed away nearly two years ago.  I was pleased to spend the day in celebration of a momentous birthday, but I was also celebrating that I would get to be with family for the greater part of a day.  As a now parentless, childless, only child, I have learned that there can be a loneliness in such a distinction.  I've found that I increasingly crave the experience of being with those who are part of my family tree.  That day, I no longer felt the rather isolating feeling of being out on the small limb.  Instead, I was enveloped by the much larger branch, surrounded by loving people who are a part of me and I a part of them.  I believe it is a common human experience to want to be part of a greater whole.  That day, I found that experience, that greater whole to be just what I needed.  I'll make sure that I foster continued and more frequent interaction with all of those lovely and loving people who I have the privilege of calling Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.