Friday, March 9, 2012

Keen on Quinoa

I've fallen in love with quinoa (keen-wah), a tasty, nutty grain that is a great source of protein and essential amino acids, and is fast and easy to fix.  I also enjoy millet, couscous, barley and hard red winter wheat berries. These grains all go beyond the brown rice that I had typically prepared for years.  I can buy each in bulk at our local health food store, The Grainery.  I rotate grains, refrigerating batches to heat up throughout the week as my hot breakfast "cereal" in place of the more traditional oatmeal or cream of wheat.  In addition to providing diversity to our diet and exposure to a variety of nutrients, these great grains inspire some fun, new recipes, becoming the stuff of soups, side dishes and cold salads throughout the year. And to think that I've only discovered what has been around since ancient times.  Indeed, everything that's old is new again.

1 comment:

  1. How ironic that you wrote of this because over the weekend I made two lovely dishes - one with wheat berries and another with quinoa. I've convinced my family that they are tasty (I don't need to tell my boys that they're healthy just yet)! Look into the book called Ancient Grains for Modern Meals. It's really quite good. Keep up the wonderful writings!

    ReplyDelete

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.