Sunday, March 11, 2012

Kid Crafts

While removing the last of the farmer's market red potatoes from a mesh produce bag the other night, I recalled having to take such a bag to elementary school many years ago.  We were going to make some type of craft project out of it, though the nature of the project is lost in the recesses of my mind.  On another occasion, we had to bring a cottage cheese container for a project.  Again, I don't remember what the project was, but I do remember having to bring a cottage cheese container for it.  Isn't the memory a strange thing?  Why would I, after all of these years, remember being asked to bring a mesh produce bag and a cottage cheese container to school but can't remember the projects for which I needed them?  Those projects didn't stand the test of time but a couple of them did.  Until a year or so ago, my mom still had a basket I had made of Christmas wrapping paper-covered cardboard pieces held together by red and green yarn.  I found among Mom's belongings a few other items I'd made in elementary school, items that Mom found too precious to discard, no matter how tattered they had become over four-plus decades.  In the complexity of today's world with its rapid change, it's nice to think about those simpler times every now and again, when yarn, mesh bags, cottage cheese containers and other everyday items could become something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.