Monday, July 9, 2012

Where I Belong

Local author Ken Lange wrote in his book A Naturalist's Journey about his love for the Baraboo Hills.  "When we have formed their acquaintance, we become attached to them," Ken writes -- a quote attributed to William Canfield, an early Sauk County historian.  Re-reading Ken's book recently and, in particular the Canfield quote, has been reassuring to me, for I have had a lifelong love affair with the Baraboo Hills, this place I call home.  I often say to Larry that I can't imagine being able to live anywhere else, for the Baraboo Hills, the Sauk Prairie and Devil's Lake State Park are just as much a part of me as my DNA. We likely all have places that are important to us, where we feel we are our real selves and where we just know that we belong.  I believe that the more we interact with those special places, the more our lives will be balanced and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.