Thursday, July 5, 2012

Talking Over the Fence

I love small-town life.  Things just seem to be more personal, more intimate, more gentle, even more wholesome.  In the summer, small-town life blossoms, as neighbors enjoy neighbors, friends gather and kids play till dusk.  Take, for instance, my walk to and from the public library the other evening.  Along my route home, I saw three women enjoying a casual conversation while standing at a fence that divides their backyards.  Further on my route, kids were dashing on a spacious expanse of lawn, their giggles gliding across the summer evening air.  A few blocks down, the aroma of something scrumptious on the barbecue grill and the sound of laughter and conversation indicated an informal gathering on a backyard deck.  There were folks out watering their flowers and a woman following behind her silent hand-push reel lawn mower.  There were kids on bikes and women out walking. No matter where I was that evening, everyone looked up, smiled, waved or had something pleasant to say.  I wouldn't ever trade small-town life because enjoyment is as simple as talking over the backyard fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.