Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sparklers

When I was a little girl, I didn't like fire.  I didn't like candles nor did I like matches or lighters.  On the 4th of July, I had to be brave, however, and allow myself to take a lit sparkler or two and help light up the sky with my own little version of fireworks.  Once I summoned up the courage, I'd enjoy holding the little metal wands of the sparklers, waving them around, listening to the sizzle as the fire burned down the wick, creating little flashes of light all around me.  It was all so magical.  But nothing was so magical as watching real fireworks.  To this day, I ooh and aah, just like the little ones, when I see a magnificent fireworks display. Alas, due to the oppressive heat and drought, our community has had to postpone its 4th of July fireworks presentation this year until later in the month when, hopefully, the conditions will permit.  Tonight, we'll watch the full moon instead and look for fireflies.  So, however you spend this star-spangled evening -- lighting sparklers or basking in the light of the full moon, watching fireworks or chasing fireflies, enjoying a big gathering or quietly appreciating the meaning of our Independence Day, may you have a Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.