Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Learning from my Elders

I had the opportunity recently to spend time with four ladies in their 80s and 90s.  Each of these women is amazing, having experienced so many highs and lows in life, yet looking at each new day with gratitude and anticipation -- and with acceptance of what is.  One lady, age 98, is still a voracious reader.  Another lady in her 90s showed me elaborate crafts she had made to submit for judging at the county fair.  While I had planned to provide each of these women with cheer and conversation, once again, I realized that it was I who had received the cheer from them.  Each of their lives has slowed down and they each need assistance with everyday living.  Yet, their courage, faith, humor and hope are as strong as ever, if not stronger.  I thank them for spending time with me that day and for sharing their many pearls of wisdom.  I'd like to be just like them when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.