Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Remembering Marty

My lovely mother-in-law, Marcia (but known to all as Marty), passed away on the Monday after Thanksgiving.  Her memorial service was in her hometown two days ago.  Marty learned that she had end-stage cancer over a year ago.  Her medical team was doubtful that she would live much beyond Christmas that year.  But, Marty was one of strong faith and a peaceful spirit.  Her time on Earth was not to end at Christmas, nor on Valentine's Day, Easter, 4th of July or Labor Day, not even on Thanksgiving.  Marty lived for over a year after that initial, dire diagnosis.  Although we didn't live in the same town or the same state, my husband Larry and I found that we became closer and closer to her throughout those remaining 14 months.  Our weekly telephone calls gave us opportunities to laugh and cry together and to say everything that was on our minds and in our hearts.  By the time our last conversation was completed on Thanksgiving, nothing had been left unsaid.  Marty shared her wisdom about living and her grace in dying with us, and many "I love yous" were said, week after week.  I will really miss Marty, for she was a wonderful lady with an equally wonderful sense of humor.  I am so grateful to have had her in my life.  I love you, Marty. I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.