Friday, August 16, 2013

A Very Berry Saturday

There's nothing more lovely for me than to take a drive into our Baraboo bluffs on a bright, sunny Saturday morning, especially with a kind and gentle friend who appreciates the view as much as I.  My friend Ellen suggested that we start out our day last Saturday by picking blueberries at The Berry Farmer west of town on Hoot Owl Road.  I picked Ellen up at 8:00 a.m.  We ventured out, windows down in the car.  Soon, we found ourselves traveling westward into the rolling countryside dotted with bright red barns and tall silos. It was The Perfect Summer Day.   We managed to be the first car to pull into the berry farm.  We were quickly assigned our berry bushes and got to work.  Within 40 minutes, each of our buckets held between two and three pounds of plump blueberries.  I couldn't wait to get home to sample my harvest.  There was no disappointment.  Each berry was extravagant in size and color and bursting with sweet flavor.  I love blueberries.  I eat them every day, all year long.  But these blueberries were special, a summer treat that made me grateful for yet one more reason for living in beautiful south-central Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.