Friday, August 9, 2013

The First Wealth

There's a sign posted on a door leading to the stairwell at work that states, "The first wealth is health," a quote attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson.  The idea behind the eye-level sign is to encourage people to get some physical activity by taking the stairs instead of the too-convenient elevator.  I'm one of those who favors stairs to elevators.  I'd rather huff and puff a little to the fourth floor than get complacent and out of shape from riding up too often.  I know the personal ramifications of my first wealth being my health, for I have experienced the converse, when I've realized just how poor I feel when feeling poorly.  I've been ill to the point when the idea of walking was too much of a struggle to even contemplate.  So, when I see stairs, they call my name, reminding me of the richness, the true and first wealth, as Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, of good health.  I walk, I climb, because I have the blessing to be able to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.