Monday, August 5, 2013

Two Shakes of a Lamb's Tail

The other day, one of my clever and kind work colleagues sent me an instant message that she would be with me in two shakes of a lamb's tail.  I hadn't heard or read that saying in a long time, but I always liked that one.  I could visualize it as a child, recognizing that my impatience would be short-lived because those little lamb tails could shake pretty quickly.  Reading my colleague's instant message got me to thinking about multi-tasking, rushing and allowing myself to feel hurried and stressed.  This summer, I have been transitioning professionally and enjoying the break from email bombardment and the feeling that I had to run faster in order to keep up with the ever-increasing to-do list.  This has been a summer when it hasn't mattered as much if the lamb's tail shakes twice, three times or more, because I've had the time to think, ponder, discover and experiment.  I'm learning about myself and my priorities, my values and my dreams. What's important to me?  How do I want to spend my time?  Another friend eloquently answered that last question for me:  By living peacefully and joyfully with a healthy life-work balance.  So, whether it's two, three, four or more shakes of a lamb's tail, I'm learning to be more patient this summer, welcoming a respite from the professional busyness of the last 30 years and welcoming a healthier way of life that is filled with peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.