Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Roomies

It's amazing how some people can move in and out of your life.  You may see each other only occasionally, yet you can easily pick up with that person where you left off.  So it is with my college roommate, Julie.  I had the opportunity to see her at a large social gathering a couple of weeks ago.  And although our conversation had to be brief because of the circumstances, there was a comfortable feeling between us that allowed us to practically pick up where we left off the last time our paths had crossed at the very same event a couple of years earlier.  Julie and I got to know each other working together one summer before college.  Her quiet, off-beat sense of humor was immediately appealing to me.  She was thoughtful, well-read and gentle in her ways.  She loved to play the guitar and sing and so did I, so as roommates, we spent hours on the floor of our dorm room, guitars in hand, singing harmonies to folks songs.  I imagine we could still sing a halfway decent rendition of "Four Strong Winds" if we put our minds to it.  Julie introduced me to the world of Thoreau.  She taught me about patience and a peaceful countenance.  She taught me that laughter and humor don't have to be loud and raucous.  Certain people light the path for us and help shape who we become.  Julie is one of those precious people in my life.  Thanks, Julie.

1 comment:

  1. During an exceptionally hectic morning ... I stopped for a moment to check in on your blog. Thank you!! It provided me with a moment to take a deep breath and truly enjoy your beautiful "stories". Thank you dear Keri :)
    -MJ

    ReplyDelete

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.