Monday, January 14, 2013

Through Thick and Thin

At my mother-in-law's memorial service, Larry and I had the good fortune of meeting two of her dear friends, Barb and Connie.  Marty had met them through her church and they proved to be true-blue friends who stayed with her through thick and thin.  Barb, Connie and Marty became three musketeers of sorts, with Barb and Connie joining Marty for all doctor's appointments, biopsies and treatments.  They walked a most difficult journey with her, standing by her side as she received hard news about diagnoses and prognoses.  I could only thank them for all they did for Marty, but thanks seemed so inadequate for all they did in the spirit of friendship.  Talking with Barb and Connie made me think of the true-blue friends who have stood by my side during difficult times, friends who didn't look the other way when I was hurting or recovering from illness or deep in sorrow and grief.  Having true-blue friends is a gift indeed and I can only hope that I can live up to being that type of thick-and-thin friend to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.