Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Some Hummin' Oatmeal

My friend Mary Ellen told me recently that her husband, now retired, gets up with her every weekday morning and prepares oatmeal for her as she gets ready for work.  Hearing her endearing story made me think of how my dad, when he was retired, did the same thing for my mom as she got ready for work and for both Mom and me on the weekend when I was home from college.  These were pre-microwave oven days so he prepared his oatmeal on the stovetop, always getting the consistency just right.  My dad wasn't a singer.  He was a hummer.  So, as he prepared the oatmeal, he'd hum.  There was nothing so happy as to enter our kitchen for a hot, wholesome oatmeal breakfast lovingly prepared by my loving, humming dad.  Not too long ago, as I was slowly awakening, I could hear Larry preparing his morning oatmeal in the kitchen and guess what he was doing?  Humming.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.