Monday, January 7, 2013

Seeing Life As Whole

Someone who offered a prayer recently included these words attributed to Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen:  “Helping, fixing, and serving represent three different ways of seeing life. When you help, you see life as weak. When you fix, you see life as broken. When you serve, you see life as whole. Fixing and helping may be the work of the ego, and service the work of the soul.”  As I internalized the words of her prayer, I began to think about my own tendencies.  Am I more inclined to help, fix or serve?  Likely, I have ventured often over my life toward the first two.  So-called helping and fixing are the easier to do.  But, in the future, I will seek to focus my energies on the third.  By being in service to others, I will see wholeness in them and possibly in myself, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.