Friday, January 11, 2013

White Coral Bells

At church recently, our pastor asked the congregation what songs their mothers sang to them as lullabies.  Several members in the pews raised their hands, identifying a variety of songs, some of which I had never heard of before.  I didn't raise my hand, but I readily remembered the lullaby my mom used to sing to me.  I could even hear her soft, soothing voice as I thought about it.  The song was "White Coral Bells." I've seen the lyrics presented a little differently online, but this is the version that Mom used to sing to me (and that later we'd sing together): "White coral bells, upon a tender stalk.  Lilies of the valley line my garden walk.  Oh how I wish that I could hear them ring.  That will only happen when the fairies sing."  To this day, when I see coral bells blooming in the spring, that lovely, little song plays in my head and I think of Mom soothing my cares and worries, making the boo-boos go away, putting me to sleep while singing "White Coral Bells" gently to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.