Sunday, October 6, 2013

Artificial Existence

I have nothing against large cities.  They hold opportunities, energy, power and excitement. But, when I heard someone say recently that cities have an artificial existence to them, I couldn't help but resonate with the statement.  It's not so much that I'm accusing cities of being artificial so much as I feel artificial when I'm in one for any length of time. I am in the very core of my being a small-town, rural person.  I crave vast green spaces.  If I don't have them in my life, I am unsettled and restless, even mournful.  I don't like driving in city traffic. Give me a gravel country road any day.  I quickly tire from the bombardment to my senses that I experience when in a city.  I start seeking nature because the tall buildings and concrete hold no real allure for me.  I want to be among dense forests, crystal clear lakes, miles of sandy beach, bird song, rushing waters and the faint whispering of the rustle of leaves.  The same holds true when I have to try to be something I'm not in order to fit in.  It takes so much of my energy that I start to wilt. We all have environments in which and people with whom we feel energized and our natural selves.  Hearing about artificial existence the other day made me realize that being my true self is always my best choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.