Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Holy Matrimony

Today would have been my parents' 65th wedding anniversary.  While visiting my aunt and uncle in Manitowoc, Wisconsin last month, my aunt pointed out to me the place where my parents had been married.  I knew that they had been married at the Methodist Church's parsonage, but had never bothered to inquire just where that building was.  Come to find out, the parsonage was located just around the corner of the house where my aunt and uncle have lived for the past 50 years.  The place where Mom and Dad were married is no longer associated with the Methodist Church.  In fact, it's a beautifully kept private home.  But I had to look at it carefully anyway, taking in all of the details of its exterior.  When I got home from my trip, I looked at the photos taken on my parents' wedding day, each an exterior shot.  The location of their wedding is no longer just a vague place to me, a backdrop of photos I've seen all of my life, but a real address, a real building located across from a beautiful park.  Although they're no longer here to celebrate their special day, seeing the place where Dad and Mom were married gave me reason to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.