Monday, October 14, 2013

Simplicity and Generosity

The theme of our stewardship drive at church this year is "Discovering Joy through Simplicity and Generosity."  I feel as if that theme was meant for me, for I love a life of simplicity where the joy of giving is an act of gratitude for the blessing of abundance.  Our pastor recently spoke of our society's definition of success as a life of consuming, acquiring and buying.  In her words, the American Dream has become somewhat of a Nightmare.  She talked about "affluenza" and "credititis" and our desire for More that is never satisfied.  Although I've grown up in an instant gratification era, my parents grew up during the Great Depression.  They instilled their value of frugality in me.  Consequently, I have very few needs and even fewer wants.  Larry and I, fortunately, have the same values, so we happily live a frugal lifestyle together.  While doing some housecleaning recently, I got to thinking how much our belongings can own us, how if I had less living space and fewer things, my life would be lighter.  So, during this church stewardship season of "Discovering Joy through Simplicity and Generosity," I'm going to concentrate even more on acquiring less for myself and giving more to others.  That will indeed give me joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.