Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Soaked to the Skin

It takes a lot to get me to forgo a walk at Devil's Lake, so I urged Larry to get up from his Saturday afternoon nap recently to join me for our daily constitutional.  The sky was overcast. It had been raining off and on throughout the day. However, it didn't look too threatening, so we ventured out.  We were about halfway through our walk when I enthusiastically commented that it looked as if we were going to get by unscathed.  It was just at that moment that the skies let loose and it started to drizzle.  Soon, it was raining a little heavier and then it started to pour.  Larry and I picked up our pace, but the rain was quickly outpacing us.  By the time we reached a shelter to stand under for a bit, we were soaked to the skin.  I forgot how heavy blue jeans can weigh when wet.  It was an effort just to pick up my legs.  By the time we got to the car, we were pretty much sopping wet.  Larry wrung out his t-shirt next to the car and it was as if he'd taken a bath in it.  Trying not to be a Pollyanna, I made the comment that rainwater is likely good for our skin and hair.  Not saying a word, Larry used his expressive eyebrows to show that he questioned my wisdom. Life can't always be sunshine and blue, cloudless skies.  Being caught in a downpour isn't such a bad thing, especially when you share it with someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.