Monday, December 9, 2013

Snow Globe

There are those times when I want time to stand still just long enough so I can soak up all of the details.  I had one of those times yesterday afternoon.  Larry and I had attended a Madison Brass Band Christmas concert at the Al. Ringling Theatre and were heading back to our car when I simply wanted time to stop, just for a little while.  As we walked hand in hand, the snow fell lightly, making the landscape a pristine white.  The storefronts in our lovely downtown were decorated for the holidays with bright Christmas lights and greenery. Christmas music played from a public address system throughout the courthouse square. All was tranquil, magical. As Gladys Taber, my mom's favorite author and one of mine, too, wrote so eloquently in The Book of Stillmeadow (Harper & Row Publishers, 1947, page 59), "And surely Christmas is a time to rededicate ourselves to the good, the true, the beautiful."  During that moment with Larry yesterday, I felt Christmas in my very being: good, true and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.